1/7/13

January 7, 2013


9:30 PM

Today was the first day back at duty in the hospital at a new location. And… it was far. Let’s just say that it was a trying time this morning. I almost took too long at the dermatologist but as soon as I finished my appointment, I realized I forgot my nameplate and student ID for duty! After rushing home, mother and I were frantically looking for the key to my condo… thankfully it was in the pocket of my backpack. But it didn’t end there…

Getting to the hospital was such a trip! After my efforts of timing myself to be on time, I still ended up late because of the taxi and traffic. That’s life in the Philippines for you.

Today was also day 2 of my workout (to get back to my original weight!) and the first day of prayer and fasting! I guess one good thing about this jetlag is being able to wake up early to go to the gym! I love how I’m not so sluggish and lethargic in the morning like before. I am most definitely making exercise a part of my daily routine. I either have to work out in the morning before I go to school or after school. No, this is not a New Year’s resolution. It gets me pumped up for this fasting, I gotta say. During duty, my group went to the hospital next door to eat at their food court and there was some pretty good places to eat! I had to say no countless times and say I wasn’t hungry (and actually, I wasn’t hungry! Honest!). Of course, I brought my own food to snack throughout the day.

Anyways, back to the prayer and fasting. I’m so glad I decided to be a part of this. Earlier today, I thought about what it means to belong. What it means to be a part of a community. A church is a community that prays and worships together. We come together to support and encourage one another but most importantly we come for our God. To be separated from church would be a huge blow to my life. Something would be missing if I don’t go to that Friday thing. My weekend won’t be complete without Sunday service. It wouldn’t be right. Having that community, that band of support who loves Jesus and share that same love with you is so important. I’ll admit I have taken it for granted at some point for some time. And yet, God loves me.

I pray for grace and strength to continue praying each day no matter where I am in whatever situation. I pray that I continue meeting with the people that encourages me and spur me to do better in my walk with God. I pray that I not only pray but also read the word of God. Prayer would not be complete without scripture. It is so that I may hear from God and stand on His truths. His promises. And it is also to remind me of what He has done for me on that cross. I pray not only for myself but also for others who pray for me. And I can think of so many people to pray for…

- family
- extended family
- my school
- my classmates
- family friends
- my best friends
- college friends in California
- my health
- my enemies
- the list goes on

5 things to be thankful for:
- the weather today
- my friend Jamie
- my mother being here with me in the Philippines
- sinigang bangus
- my dermatologist

So far so good…
I haven’t spent money on food outside today:) it all went to transportation

And so the fasting continues…

No comments: